A Step-By-Step Guide
Series 2, Article 1
The beauty of Craigslist is that it’s free and that you are able to sell items to local people with local pick-up and no Paypal or shipping hassles.
How to Set Up a Craigslist Account:
It is not mandatory that you set up an account with Craigslist in order to sell items, but it is recommended in order to make the process easier to create, edit, delete and repost ads.
- Go to www.craigslist.org.
- On the left side of the page click on “My Account”.
- On the left bottom of the page click on “Sign up for an Account”.
- Type in your email address.
- Enter the verification word, and then click on “Create Account”.
The next page will then say: “A link to activate your account has just been emailed to (your email address).”
- Now go to your email account and click on the link that Craigslist sent you.
- You will now enter your password twice and click on “Submit Password and Log In” at the bottom.
Now that you have an account you can begin posting items!
How to Post Items on Craigslist:
- Go to www.craigslist.org.
- Click on “My Account” on the upper left.
- Then click on the “New Posting” tab at the top of the page.
- Choose your City from the drop-down box and click “Go”. (If you live in a small town, choose the largest town nearby – If you live in Monument, choose Colorado Springs.) Take into consideration that larger cities will afford you more buyers, but also more competition. Also, if you plan to post your item in more than one area, be sure to change the title and description wording. Posting identical ads in more than one area is forbidden by Craigslist.
- Then choose your type of posting – “For Sale” is in the middle of the list.
- A list of categories will then appear. Choose the category that best fits the item you are selling.
- On the Form, create a Posting Title. Make it specific, but exciting so people will want to click on it. Use key words that will help people to find your ad when they are searching. For advanced users: To find keyword ideas that are highly searched with low competition, go to https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal
- Type in your Price and your Specific Location. (This is not your home address! Type in your local town.)
- I always click the circle to anonymize my email address so that no one knows my real email address and so that I don’t have to give out my phone number.
- Then add a detailed description with as much specifics as you can (otherwise you will get a million emails from people asking a million questions). Use bullet points so it’s easy to read. Also avoid using all caps.
- Add images. Try to take photos up-close and different angles. You can add up to 4 photos.
- Do not click the box for “OK for others to contact you…” box.
- Now just click “Continue”.
You have just listed your first item. Congratulations!
More detailed information is in the “help, faq, abuse, legal” Section on the Home Page right below “My Account”. Also be aware of potential scams. Scams can and will happen on Craigslist if you don’t follow the advice they give you. Be sure to read the “Avoid Scams and Fraud” page which you can click on directly below the calendar on the Home Page.